Digital Dental X- Ray
In the present scenario dental profession is increasingly growing and that is due to digital dental radiographs which includes digital X-rays for the better result and better view of the teeth and to detect better diagnose, and a better treatment of disease.
It is kind of X-ray where images are being taken by using digital X-ray sensors which produce a proper computer image of teeth, gums and the complete oral structure and conditions.
In this process the images has been taken through three methods and first one is direct method, second one is indirect method and the third one is semi-indirect method. In the direct method electronic sensors are placed in the mouth to record images and in the indirect method X-ray is used to take digital images. The semi-indirect method combines a sensor and scanner both to convert dental X-rays to digital movie.
Types of Intraoral X-Rays
- Bitewing X-Rays
These types of X-Rays displays details of upper as well as lower teeth in one region of the mouth. Every Bitewing X-ray shows a particular tooth from its top to the supporting bone level.
- Periapical (limited) X-rays
These X-rays displays the full tooth from the crown beyond the tips of root to the supporting bone level in one region of lower or upper jaw.
Types of Extraoral X-Rays
- Panoramic(Panorex) X-rays
Such types of X-rays need a machine which moves around the head, displays the complete mouth, which includes all the teeth in lower and upper arch in one single image.
- Multi-slice computed tomography (MCT)
This kind of X-Ray displays a different slice or layer of mouth while blurring other kind of layers.
- Cephalometric projections
These type of projections display the entire head and help in examining the teeth in relation to a patient’s profile and jaw.
Advantages of Digital X-Rays
There are many advantages of digital x-rays over traditional x-rays. Some of them are as follows:-
- Digital X-rays show very small hidden regions of decay between the teeth or below the existed restorations, gum disease, bone infections, tumors, developmental abnormalities and cysts.
- Anyone can easily view the digital x-rays instantaneously on the screen of any computer. They can be easily transmitted through electronic channels to the specialists without any noticeable loss.
- Early detection as well as the treatment of dental problems can save your precious time and money.
- Digital micro-storage technology lets the users access large data storage capacity on small drives which are space-saving.